 Trains / 21519
Re: Steam Drivers by Big Ben Bricks!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 16:51:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:
Steven Barile wrote:

Hi All,

I just hung up with Ben Fleskes and he OK'ed the news article that is now
on www.ILTCO.org! There is some more information about these drivers and
several pictures too!

Most of it looks great, however like Manfred mentions, why no opening for
the 1*1 round plate, and also it seems as if the hole for a driver rod is
actually recessed instead of standing out, which makes it a lot harder to
make a smooth running set of driver rods.

I think it's enough so that, with the addition of the width of half the ridge
around a pin, it'll stand clear.  Fitting a round plate on the hub, if it clears
the end of the axle, would just foul the connecting rod anyway.

I think these are excellent.  I'll certainly be after black and dark grey.  I
can see people would be after red too, but I'm curious what people would want
ordinary grey for.

I'm not sure I'd rebuild my current stock, but I have a few ideas for new Locos.

Jason Railton

We were playing with some of the first run of wheels at our GMLTC meeting
Thursday night.  The spacing on where the Technic pin sits is just right - it
sets in just far enough to allow whatever you connect to it to clear the outter
lip of the driver wheel.

Ben, as I told you privately, I *love* these wheels!

Also a note - Ben will also be selling "de-flanged" versions of these wheels,
but they require him to machine off the flange by hand, so he might have to
charge extra for them.  (He didn't want to create a separate mold for the
non-flange versions.)

I was playing with a sample setup of three wheels - flanged/non flanged/flanged
- they handled the Lego curved track perfectly.

Hmmm...  It might be time for me to get started rebuilding my Challenger!
*grin*

JohnG, GMLTC
  proud owner of some of the very first of these wheels ever made!  ;-)