 Trains / 20892
Re: Track Designer Registry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:44:53 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
IMO (as a programmer that knows about this stuff), it would be easier to
port Track Designer to linux (even to linux on other platforms or to e.g.
MacOSX) than it would to port TrackDraw.

IMO, that's a pretty amusing statement. Without you having seen either the
source to Track Designer or TrackDraw, I think it is a reach to say which would
be easier to port to Linux.

TrackDraw relies on many .NET libraries, including GDI+, XML, windows.forms, and
others. However, these libraries are sufficiently abstract that it is pretty
reasonable to map the frequently used functionality onto other libraries. For
instance, I draw thick arcs, but only in one place in my code. Mapping my
thick-arc circle-center arc/sweep geometry to something like SVG's start
point/end point representation is a bother, but you'd only have to do it once,
in one place.

Programming isn't much about the syntax or which libraries to call. It is
completely about the algorithms. Once TrackDraw's algorthms are robust and ready
to release in source form, they could be easily ported to COBOL. However,
writing your own 2D graphics library in COBOL, assuming one doesn't exist, is
where the real challenge lies.

And, in TrackDraw's case, the real value is in the data. Since the data is all
in XML that includes a validating schema, that data is instantly portable to any
platform that can run a browser. Track Designer's data, as best as I can tell,
was not architected with portability in mind.

Cary