 Trains / 20893
Re: Shirley day Lego Setup
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:45:42 GMT

With displays like this you should be able to dig a few AFOLs
out of the woodwork.  Either that or cause a few to consider
moving to the Victoria area.

If I had done it "in" victoria, rather than ~30 km from downtown, then, yes, I
would have a chance to dig a few out of the woodwork.

But, this was mostly self indulgent to display :), I just have a grand time
doing the unusual.

Anyway, I had 30' by 30-120" to play with, including the debut of two new
features for me, a pond (canal) system, and "Bricstol Temple Meads".

Sounds incredible.  How long did it take you to set it up?  Do you have
any suggestions for making setup easier?  Wow.

Yep, big chunks semi permanantly mounted on plywood work well when you are 4km
from home and own a pick up truck.

It took 3 trips to bring everything back- one of the trips was the entirity of
bricstol temple meads, one was all the rest of the tables, and one was the rest
of the stuff (a few loose buildings, rolling stock & boats, DCC stuff)

I think the important thing to have are a plan of where things are going when
you get there, not to create as you go.  I'd have had a easier time if I had
test assembled the bridge over the canal first- it worked, but not very well
compared with how I could have made it work if I had tested it out properly
first.  (and gotten the programming so the boat didn't crash into it- doh!)

Vertically large buildings are impressive to look at, and work quite well- I had
a 7 story office tower (empty shell) and that garnered a good deal of attention.
Moving willggly wags are also an important part of the process.

I think that a comprimise between the plywood look of early PNLTC layouts and
the fully bricked look of GMLTC is about right.  One portion of my layout is
rased 6 2/3 bricks, but most of it was plywood level, covered with baseplates.

James Powell