 Trains / 15697
Re: Track Designer Registry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:47:06 GMT

I too had though about a complete re-write, but it's so hard to get
motivated to take on the project when you see how much stuff is packed into
the existing TD. First I make a list of what I'd like to have in such an
application, then I list what the current TD can do. Quickly the reqirements
list grows to a point that I quickly realize that there wouldn't be much
time for building.

Just keeping up with the list of demands from the LUGNET train community
would be a full time job ;)

So we need a developer that has lots of "free time"

jt

In lugnet.trains, Steve Barile writes:
No disrespect to Matt, but how about a rewrite.

Couple thoughts:
TD3D (Track Designer 3D). This was very loosely suggested at the LDraw round
table at BricksWest (maybe by Jake ???). I'm not at all suggesting track
design in MLCAD, but rather a application that comprehends track design.
This way the elevation changes and monorail elevation change tracks are
visible too.

TD2D ver2. Maybe even with some elasticity so long runs can fudge...

SteveB

In lugnet.trains, Rick Clark writes:
Martin Scragg wrote:

[Snip]

As beloved as TD is by many, Matt said he wrote it more as a learning
project than anything else, originally, and wasn't too keen on some of the
internals as he felt he'd progressed beyond some of it.

So would he be willing to pass the source on to someone else to update it
(I'd be willing to have a look at it)?  I am sure the code he has written,
is no where near as bad as some of the stuff I have had to work with, that
goes into products that get sold!

Martin

Excellent! Two years ago Matt said:

It's written in Microsoft Visual C++ with MFC 4.0.
I would be more than happy for anyone to volunteer to take over the • future
development of Track Designer. I am sure there are many features that • people
would want to see added.
Anyone who takes it over needs to be proficient in both C and Windows
programming. MFC experience would also help greatly. I wouldn't say • you need
much experience in C++ but it wouldn't hurt (This was my first C++ • and first
MFC program!)
If more than one person wants to volunteer then we'll have to work • something
out.
I'll be more than happy to answer questions about it.
Matt

So contact Matt and have at it! You will be well-regarded by all of us
in the Lego Train community just for trying, and much more so for
succeeding.

There were a few other people interested in helping out, but that was
two years ago. They may be too busy now (on the other hand, they may
have more time).
Here's the thread:
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=7254

My wish feature is a layer to allow you to draw scale tabletops. Just
rectangles would be a huge improvement.

Rick Clark