 Trains / 20623
Re: Did I miss something? What is so intresting about a 1/2-track segment???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:17:26 GMT

"John" <John@TCLTC.org> wrote in message news:HHxwno.1508@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.trains, Jeroen de Haan wrote:

Why would one want a half straight  track?

lol  Jeroen, you've been building {virtually} for too long;-)

True, I should get out more...

In the real world, and especially when creating a large train layout, you • want
the track to go where {you} want it to go, not where {it} wants to go.  I • guess
that there would never be a problem if you laid out your track first and • then
built around it, but I for one do the exact opposite, and often things • don't
work out so nicely.  "Shorties" come in really handy (you cut out the • middle
half of a straight section and throw it away, keeping the good ends and
attaching them together with bricks).

All very well, but I don't see the pro's of half a track; bigger radius and
better switches, yes.
Well, it is very personal. My "set-up" is very modest (I can't even place my
second engine-shed :-( ) and half a straight wouldn't enhance things.

By the same token, I'd like to see a section of track that equals 3 or 4
straights as well...

[JOHN]

Jeroen (from the garden with a nice glass of wine...)