 Trains / 20670
Re: Did I miss something? What is so intresting about a 1/2-track segment???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 19:34:17 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Thomas Wölk wrote:
   hi!

Here is a layout that puzzled me as a child. It took me some time to accept that they seemed to have cheated.

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0007612/Pages/Lego-m/diverses/p69s01.jpg

Try and rebuild this in Track Designer. It won’t work. Have a look at the level crossing at the right and the track to the top of the top right point to see how they build it, using parts they wouldn’t sell in the shops. I was rather annoyed, but I thought maybe they only sold this in Billund.

Hi Thomas,

I had a look for over 10 minutes at this picture and still I did not got your point. What should be wrong? Because I did not see it in the picture I started to use Track Designer and the layout seems to be fine except from a minor gap of maybe 10 millimeters, which never causes trouble in real life.

Could you please mark in your picture (in a copy of it) what is wrong?

my Homepage:

I think I can see what Thomas means.
First of all see the siding at the bottom left, it has a wiggle by the point.

At first I thought that leaving this wiggle out of the Track Designer layout did not make any difference but if you add it the siding is in the same place as the track going over the bridge.

Next there is the track by the level crossing on the right

1: is the starting sleeper for this example
2: is the next sleeper along where you would expect it to be
3: is the halfway point along the next set of rails
4: is the next sleeper along.

it can be seen that the next sleeper after 2 should be halfway between 3 and 4 but is in fact at 4 meaning the rails are either one and half times as long a standard rail or there is a full section and a half section, my feeling is a half section with the break at 3.

Tim