 Trains / 20581
Re: LDCC and Boosters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 02:53:05 GMT

"Steven Barile" wrote:
This is great.  I have one question.  I assume that the DCC stationary
decoder does need to be powdered and it can be powered by either
batteries or AC/DC 9 volt adapator.

Yes, that's correct, the decoder RCX still needs to be powered,
but it doesn't have to be AC, you can use batteries since the switches
aren't drawing lots of continuous power.

I was wondering if there is a DC component to the DCC signaling such that • you
could actually draw the power from the track to power the decoder RCXs?

Yep, I just tried it:  I fed the track power straight into the RCX 1.0
power input jack (and to the lamp brick "sensor" attached to
sensor port 1).  The switch motors do operate slower, probably
because they're seeing something like 7V instead of 9V.
You'd still want to have batteries in the RCX to retain program
memory, because otherwise when track power is shut off, the
decoder program goes *poof*.   Also, the batteries should be a
used set because a fresh set would provide more than 7V
internally and would be drained first until they dropped to
the same internal voltage as provided by the track power.

Great idea!

Mark