 Trains / 20298
Re: Even more Wow!! for your buck!!! was Re: Woo Hoo!!!!! (part deux...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 18:41:10 GMT

All these polarity-switching solutions presume only 1 train.  If you've
got 3 trains, and each of them is hitting a block boundary at the same
time, you're going to have a short no matter what you do.

Best solution for DCC is to get your insulated sections exactly the
right length and not have more of them than necessary.

Jeff E

"Brian H. Nielsen" wrote:

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

<snip>

Regarding reverse loops and DCC I seem to recall that it's possible to
automate them so you don't have to cut gaps that the motor has to coast
across

See this track diagram

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/loop.html

   I'm not up on DCC, but with normal track it is normally done by having the
loop divided into 2 power blocks, rather than one as in the above diagram.  With
3 power blocks you can always switch the block the train is heading toward to be
compatible with the block it is in so there is never a gap to cross.  Once the
engine has crossed into a new block the trailing block is free to be changed and
there is time to set the leading block.

   I'm sure you know all that, it's an old technique, but wouldn't that work
here? Or is there something about DCC which prevents using it?  Or does DCC
somehow reduce the number of blocks needed, thus simplifying the layout?

Brian H. Nielsen