 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7485
7484  |  7486
Subject:
Even more Wow!! for your buck!!! was Re: Woo Hoo!!!!! (part deux...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 04:01:57 GMT

So a few friends gather--talk of DCC comes up. Well, I just happen to have a DCC compiled RCX in my dufflebag and 3 converted LEGO motors (with engines that look remarkably similar to mine--oh wait, they were mine...)

So we set up an impromtu layout demonstrating the wonders of LDCC (again, thanks Mark) and we play for a bit...

Then Derek says, “Well, isn’t this AC in the tracks?”

Well, this I do not know, but me thinks it’s pseudo AC, but whatever, what do I know?

So Derek gets the great idea that mayhaps we could finally do a true back-loop--looping the track back into itself.

So with paper insulators between the track tabs, Derek proceeds to fry my RCX.

Well, not really. Actually the reverse loop worked surprisingly well, except everytime the actual train motor would cross the insulated part of the track--then there would be a brief short in the track as one set of wheels is on one polarity, and the other set is on the reverse polarity.

Not liking that, I get home, take two straight pieces of track I have kicking around, cut the metal such that there is a non-conductive gap just the length of the two wheelsets. Then I proceed to make a double reverse loop setup in my living room (get pics up hopefully tomorrow).

Let me tell you something--works mostly flawlessly. Yes there are a few quirks--when the motor is going superslow, it basically stops on the insulated gap--momentum carries it thru to the other polarized rails, but the chip seems to take a half second to realize it has to go again--the light picks up instantaneously, but the motor doesn’t start driving again for a brief moment.

At medium speeds, for the most part, you barely notice a shudder in the train as it crosses the gap--the train has a tougher time with the switches, but that’s nothing unusual.

At very high speeds, sometimes around the corner the wheelset on the inner rails lifts off and therefore loses communication anyways and pauses--has nothing to do with the gap.

But watching the train go around these reverse loops continously is much fun.

Again, caution about the wiriing--it has to be right or there’ll be shorts and/or big dead spots b/w the switch and the insulated section. As well, the best place to put an insulated section is amongst a long straight section--if you do it around corners or right after the arm of hte switch, the motor has difficulty about half the time on medium speeds.

Anyway, was fun playing with it.

More to come :)

Dave K

Sparky’s Space--Where Sparky has his Space...