 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7522
Re: Woo Hoo!!!!! (part deux...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 20:24:13 GMT

Seriously, the hardest part is getting all those plastic tabs off the bottom so
you can get the thing open.

My controllers were ultra tiny and cost me 44.95 per at Modellers Choice in
upper Hamilton (Upper James b/w Rymal and Stonechurch for those interested)
THey have lots in stock--a 25 dollar one, but the length of that barely fit
inside the motor and I didn't want to pry it in there--so I went with the
smaller one--it's like 8 mm by 15 mm--so tiny.

Mario installed a Digitrax DH121 into a motor pack for me last night.  It's an
HO scale unit ($28 at George's Trains in Toronto) but it didn't fit in the pack,
so we have it actually wired out into the inside of the locomotive.  I have the
pack and decoder plugged into a Metroliner right now.

Alone, the motor and decoder runs okay at most speeds.  In the Metroliner, it
sputters a lot-my suspicion is that it's losing contact with the track.  The
pack we had it in was left open for a LONG time since our DCC experimentation
(put it this way, both of our paychecks still said Nortel on them) so the
lubricants may have got dusty, the wheel contact springs may have been lose etc.

I figure I'll probably by a DN121 or similar N scale decoder for our next pack
conversion.

The RCX DCC software IS AMAZING.  I'm controlling it with RoboticMover on a Palm
Vx instead of a RCX remote.  This is such a nifty little program.  My only
concern is why the RCX is buzzing?! :)

Calum