 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7479
Re: Woo Hoo!!!!! (part deux...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2003 00:18:17 GMT

Thanks for the nice comments, Dave.

A few points--is the RCX suppose to quietly hum when it's running the • track?
It's very faint but it's definitly humming...

Yes, the humming is "normal" - my sample base being two RCXs.  :-)

Sorta reminds me of that buzzing you hear around high voltage power lines.

The last time I looked at DCC, they were talking about the track layout • being
'on' all the time, so that 1 non-modified motor could also run on the • track--I
put my non-modified motor on the track and it just sits there--humming. • Can a
LEGO speed reg also be connected up to the same track with the RCXDCC to • control
non-modified LEGO motors, or is that a bad thing?

It's not a bad thing.  But it does suck a lot of power even when the
motor is sitting there stopped.  It's called pulse stretching and
you can achieve something like 70% of full speed using an
unmodified train motor.  LDCC currently doesn't support this,
but I plan on implementing it, if for no other reason than the fun
of seeing it work.  One of the side effects is that it reduces the
bandwidth for DCC transmissions, so commands to other
locomotives experience some latency.  Probably not an issue
for small layouts, but I've heard that some clubs ban the use
of DC locos because it degrades performance for the other
users.

Cheers,

Mark