 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7493
Re: Even more Wow!! for your buck!!! was Re: Woo Hoo!!!!! (part deux...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 17:34:38 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Brian H. Nielsen wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

<snip>

Regarding reverse loops and DCC I seem to recall that it's possible to
automate them so you don't have to cut gaps that the motor has to coast
across

See this track diagram

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/loop.html

   I'm not up on DCC, but with normal track it is normally done by having the
loop divided into 2 power blocks,

That diagram is divided into two blocks. One for the approaches, and one for the
reverse loop itself. That's standard wiring, been done that way since I was a
wee lad, there's no need to divide the reverse loop itself into two blocks.

With conventional control  (for example the old ATLAS line of components) you
reverse the loop block to match which way the train enters and while the train
is in the block, you reverse the approach block.

rather than one as in the above diagram.  With
3 power blocks you can always switch the block the train is heading toward to be
compatible with the block it is in so there is never a gap to cross.  Once the
engine has crossed into a new block the trailing block is free to be changed and
there is time to set the leading block.

   I'm sure you know all that, it's an old technique, but wouldn't that work
here? Or is there something about DCC which prevents using it?  Or does DCC
somehow reduce the number of blocks needed, thus simplifying the layout?

Brian H. Nielsen