 Trains / 20256
Re: 10028 Level Crossing Sneak Peek!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 02:38:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John P. Henderson wrote:
<snip>
Almost every crossing TLC has sold during the
last ten years or so seems to include a tower of some sort.  Maybe that is a
commonplace thing in Europe or elsewhere?  Here in New England, I don't think
I have ever seen such a tower at regular crossings.  Maybe at drawbridges, but
crossings are usually automated (if signalized at all).
<snip>

Hmm. Is it possible that the tower and the crossing are actually unrelated?
Judging from the yard diagram and monitors in the tower, it looks to be a yard
tower. Perhaps knowledgable train-heads are expected to separate the two
elements and use them in different parts of their layout. Since they are on
different baseplates, this is a simple matter.

Now that I think about it, that might also explain why there are only two track
segments in the set. The two parts of the set are being displayed side-by-side,
but they are actually intended to be used separately.

I suspect it might be difficult to get production approval for just a signal
tower (kinda boring, especially if you have no switches), but by including it
with the level crossing, you get two sets for the price of... er, two (well,
actually three, if you count the rail vehicle).

I agree that it would be nice to get just the level crossing at a lower price
point, but if you look at this as three sets, it's actually pretty normally
priced (Level crossing: $22, Yard Tower: $18, Rail Vehicle: $10).

Rick Clark