 Trains / 20250
Re: 10028 Level Crossing Sneak Peek!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2003 16:18:45 GMT

Hi folks

"Saskia van Doesburg" <info@doesdigitals.nl> wrote in message
news:HFqtpI.21JK@lugnet.com...

"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" <hendo@valyance.com> schreef in bericht
news:HFpz4u.Dzy@lugnet.com...
[snip]
Almost every crossing TLC has sold during the
last ten years or so seems to include a tower of some sort.  Maybe that • is
commonplace thing in Europe or elsewhere?  Here in New England, I don't • think I
have ever seen such a tower at regular crossings.  Maybe at drawbridges, • but
crossings are usually automated (if signalized at all). • [snip]
-Hendo (who hasn't looked at his Trains in over a year...)

Well, I live in Europe (The Netherlands) and I've never seen a tower of • any
kind next to a railroad crossing :-)

Here in the UK crossings like this are a fairly common site in less urban
areas (small towns and villages), but are generally speaking old-fashioned
and are gradually being replaced by automated signals. For example, this
article points out just how dated this technology is :

http://www.chartist.demon.co.uk/rdsw/prnw2.htm

They are also pretty common in other countries, I understand. This website
has lots of pictures of crossings that look quite similar to the new Lego
one, in the UK and elsewhere (a couple of examples listed):

http://www.signalbox.org/overseas/australia/bacchus.htm
http://www.signalbox.org/gallery/br-e.htm

Myself .. I will probably buy one... but, only after I've got an AT-AT  :-)

Colin