 Trains / 20233
Re: 10028 Level Crossing Sneak Peek!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2003 21:46:06 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh wrote:
LEGO has supplied the ILTCO with detailed photos of the new 10028 Level
Crossing.  The ILTCO is pleased to be able to share these exciting images
with the community of train fans worldwide. Check out the ILTCO exclusive
sneak peek of these new sets by visiting the ILTCO home page at our
temporary URL (http://iltco.northcomp.com)[1] and viewing them for yourself.

Well, now that I have read the positive and negative comments in this thread and
looked at the pics myself, I now will offer my own 2 cents...

1. Good: The fact that TLC will be offering any crossing is great news in my
book.  When I set up my Town display, I have four trains (2 9V and 2 4.5v) and
enough roadplates to have need for any number of crossings (my last setup needed
5 roadway-railway crossings).  I have only 2 crossing plates from the 4.5
series, and none for 9V.  So you can imagine that my mini-figs burn through the
shock absorbers on their little autos rather quickly.  Maybe not all Train
hobbiests build towns around their trains, but those that do need crossings!

2. Bad: However, what I really wish for is that they would sell just the
crossing itself: just the sloped pieces the autos drive over, the flat pieces
that cover the railroad ties(sp?), and maybe the gates (although just stop signs
would be sufficient for rural crossings).  The reason I haven't bought a
crossing in years is because I cannot easily spend the $20+ US just for the $6
worth of elements I really want.  Almost every crossing TLC has sold during the
last ten years or so seems to include a tower of some sort.  Maybe that is a
commonplace thing in Europe or elsewhere?  Here in New England, I don't think I
have ever seen such a tower at regular crossings.  Maybe at drawbridges, but
crossings are usually automated (if signalized at all).

3. Good: That this particular design has stylings of the recent city set is no
big deal, nor should it prove surprising.  Newer sets tend to include elements
that are common in other series at the time.  If anything, it makes it a more
compatible set for newer collectors, and it likely keeps the cost down by
including pieces that are from molds currently in use.

4. Good: The new computer monitor tile element is the darned coolest thing.  I
don't know why they never thought of it sooner.  I join those who have offered
hope that these will show up in other (more affordable) sets.

5. Bad: Maybe I looked too quick, but I didn't see any chairs for our busy
railroad signal-men to sit in while monitoring the big-board-o-whatever-that-is.

6. Good: Holy Moly!  A Town-Like set!  Sure, it is a little juniorized compared
to the 1980s, but it is still a step in the right direction compared to recent
years.  For those who plan to not use the tower (like myself) at least the
pieces might find good use elsewhere in a town.

7. Overall: The good outweighs the bad, IMO.  The final decision on my
investment on this one will be price.  In general, it is good to see Train
(Town) accessories like this one and the Train Shed set.

-Hendo (who hasn't looked at his Trains in over a year...)