 Trains / 20223
Re: 10028 Level Crossing Sneak Peek!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2003 16:39:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bryan Kinkel wrote:
What makes you conclude the target markets for the Train Shed and the new
level crossing are different?

Is it the style of the sets? The parts selected?

To me it looks like Lego Direct is trying to produce an affordable Train
accessory set.

Bryan

"Jonathan Wilson" <jonwil@tpgi.com.au> wrote in message
and 3.a desire to appeal more to the target market. This set and, say, the
engine shed are clearly aimed at different target markets.

The style of the crossing is clearly that of the "World City" line, where as the
style of the Engine shed isn't. In recent years it seems that there are two
train line stylings; the normal product line (NPL) and LEGO Direct (LD) line.
The NPL seems to be designed with the "old school" constraints and are tied to
the current "town" theme, where the LD designs seems more targeted at the AFOL
or those with similar sensibilities. It's also likely that both are designed by
the same design team in Billund but with different criteria.

Some examples:
Engine Shed, MOC Trains and SantaFe are LD
New freight train, "High Speed" passenger train, new Train station... are NPL

SteveB