 Trains / 20229
20228  |  20230
Subject:
Woo Hoo!!!!! (part deux...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2003 21:19:51 GMT

Well,

Some Totally Awesome Stupendous Guy by the name of Mark posted the other day talking about getting an RCX to be the DCC for train layouts...

I can throw around a soldering iron with the best of em so I went up to my local hobby shop, picked me up three (3) of these Digital Plus LE0511W micro decoders, and threw as of this time 2 into LEGO train motors.

Then I throw a small loop together, and d/l the TASG firmware to the RCX. Besides the neat-o factor of seeing the RCX display words ‘n stuff, I proceeded on.

Connected the RCX to the track, tried to figure out how to set my motors to different Loco #’s (still working on that)

But preliminary results are astounding--controlling the motor via remote, forward and backwards--this is soooo sweet.

Anyway, pics to come (maybe) on my conversion process...

Mark, I just want to say, Wow! This is awesome work!

A few points--is the RCX suppose to quietly hum when it’s running the track? It’s very faint but it’s definitly humming...

The last time I looked at DCC, they were talking about the track layout being ‘on’ all the time, so that 1 non-modified motor could also run on the track--I put my non-modified motor on the track and it just sits there--humming. Can a LEGO speed reg also be connected up to the same track with the RCXDCC to control non-modified LEGO motors, or is that a bad thing?

Anyway, very nicely done Mark. This is great stuff!

Dave K

for Iain-- ;)

Sparky’s Space--Where Sparky