 Trains / 16156
  Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

Here's a start at trying to build an under hanging train. Not sure how well, or if, this design concept would work. I've certainly been inspired by other MOCs like this. This concept train only has one car. The ideas are that: - One side of the (...) (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) Cool. So you didn't want to go the Wuppertahlbahn ((URL) route using a single rail? I guess it makes powering the thing easier... (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) If there was some neat way to attach a coupler to the axle, that'd be the best place, but probably above the track is next best. (...) Nah, I think you want to make the car above the track as small as possible, otherwise you may as well just (...) (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) Yeah, powering the train was a primary design target. I went with 9v track as most readily available power source for me. However, I haven't solved the clearance issue of the 9v track power connectors sticking out and interfering with the car (...) (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

Thanks for the comments, Ross. More below. (...) Coupler below track on the axle is my first choice, but I'm not sure how well that would work with the cars swinging out through curves. Probably not an issue. (...) I agree. (...) Thanks! later, (...) (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) I wonder if putting the power connectors on switches (turnouts) on the curved outer leg of an unused spur would help at all? Arrange your trackage so that it's the straight leg (where there is no turnout stand to interfere) that is used by the (...) (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) I like it. Good idea. Thanks. (...) Ah, I don't think I've seen this. Thanks. Off to look... Woah! That's impressive: (URL) Mathis (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

I've seen the Wuppertahnbahn diorama too, it's great! What's the URL again? BTW Have you considered using just the power rails from the 12v system for the upper track. This way you get the power, the single rail look, yet the double rail geometry (...) (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) A possible solution could be soldering a wire on the metal track rail. If you turn a rail upside down, you'll see small gaps with bended metal lips. You can solder there a wire. Let the wire come out on the bottom side of the rail and bend it (...) (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) It say's : Ein elektrischer Antrieb ist nicht vorhanden, witch means that there's no electrical drive, so no motor at all. anyhow, it's nice done. Regards, Ludo Soete (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

"James Mathis" <thakius@nmt.edu> wrote in message news:GuqzFH.9r0@lugnet.com... (...) track. I would suggest that most trains of this type are computer controlled thus do not need a driver, examples being London's Dockland railway and the shuttle (...) (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) You would only be able to go through the points one direction since they need to be switched to the diverging track in order for the power to be transmitted from the diverging track to the straight track. Frank (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) This would be an interesting challenge to work with. You would need to use the 70s era power pickups, and then attach wires to them to power a motor. Narrow tires can be run in the gap between the two rails giving very positive guidance. Frank (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) Wow! This is pretty darn neat. I really like the look of the underhanging car. Seeing one of these going around a layout would be very cool. (...) I would be concerned about this as well. I look forward to seeing where this goes. (...) -Jason (...) (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and references! I hope this project continues to improve. And, I look forward to seeing any other tries (and success!) if you're so inspired :-) !! later, James Mathis (...) (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) Yep. (22 years ago, 19-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) If you arranged it as a passing loop, with power to the passing track, you could have one of the switches straight depending on which way it was going. Possibly even work out an automatic control that switched them depending on the direction (...) (22 years ago, 19-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) And I just thought, doesn't power still get through to the straight track as the loco passes a "reversed" switch in the wrong direction and pushes the switching rail out of the way? I had an idea the switching of power was done with trickery (...) (22 years ago, 19-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

James, Great idea for a system! I may have to look into this design... You may have seen them before, but here are some pictures of working overhead supported light rail model I built for the Sky Train Corporation. The Sky Train is full automated (...) (22 years ago, 19-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) Robin, I sure do remember your Sky Train model. Several years old, if I remember correctly. Good show! Some success on real-brick-build: Tonight I have built a real-brick working version of this under rail system. The height of the track (...) (22 years ago, 19-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) Cool! (...) You could provide a bit of friction in the rotating mount. This'll reduce the swing-out effect as well, but should solve the "swing-in" problem. You could try squeezing the bushes together further than normal. This can increase the (...) (22 years ago, 19-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

That's a really cool idea - you've now put me off building houses completely as I try to work out how to do a hanging railway of my own! Jason J Railton (...) (22 years ago, 19-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) Heee, heee....I mean: sorry. ;-) Have fun! later, James Mathis (22 years ago, 19-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) This swing out and back in is prototypical! See, for instance "Top Gun" at Paramount King's Island or "Iron Dragon" at Cedar Point. These are instances of a class of coaster called "suspended" roller coasters and have bogies that run on (...) (22 years ago, 19-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) That should say: When transitioning from CURVED to tangent track... (22 years ago, 19-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) I think those old power pickups would be the way to go. The slightly newer ones have a thin enough pin to be able to be plugged into a 12v wire. Of course "pure" solution would be to use a 12v motor, but a little cutting of wire would provide (...) (22 years ago, 19-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) <snip coaster descriptions> Here's an MPeg movie of the car going through a curve at speed regulator position 5: (URL) movie(s) to come. later, James Mathis (22 years ago, 20-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design

(...) Correction: not speed 5, rather speed 4. Sorry. (...) One more movie is now available. later, James Mathis (22 years ago, 20-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains)