 Trains / 16175
Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 00:26:15 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:

Yeah, powering the train was a primary design target.  I went with 9v track
as most readily available power source for me.  However, I haven't solved
the clearance issue of the 9v track power connectors sticking out and
interfering with the car support arms.

I wonder if putting the power connectors on switches (turnouts) on the
curved outer leg of an unused spur would help at all? Arrange your trackage
so that it's the straight leg (where there is no turnout stand to interfere)
that is used by the train. Gotta think about the geometry of that but this
way you're bringing in power from the side that isn't contacted. Maybe???

You would only be able to go through the points one direction since they
need to be switched to the diverging track in order for the power to be
transmitted from the diverging track to the straight track.

If you arranged it as a passing loop, with power to the passing track, you
could have one of the switches straight depending on which way it was going.
Possibly even work out an automatic control that switched them depending on
the direction of the power applied.

ROSCO