 Trains / 16185
Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 17:38:48 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I think the idea of using 12V power rails as the basis for a system is
terrifi-neato. The metal strips themselves may be just enough to keep a load
bearing (or drive) wheel contained to the center of the strip. (side guides
will probably still be required though)

I'm just not clear on how power pickup would work. Although you CAN (could)
buy plug on power pickup units as 12V spares... maybe with some clever wiring?

I think those old power pickups would be the way to go. The slightly
newer ones have a thin enough pin to be able to be plugged into a 12v
wire. Of course "pure" solution would be to use a 12v motor, but a
little cutting of wire would provide a 12v to 9v converter wire so 9v
motors could be used. A 4.5v motor could also be used.

When I get unpacked more, I may play with this idea some.

Frank