 Trains / 16179
Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 05:45:02 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Robin Werner writes:
James,

Great idea for a system! I may have to look into this design...

You may have seen them before, but here are some pictures of working
overhead supported light rail model I built for the Sky Train Corporation.

Robin,

I sure do remember your Sky Train model.  Several years old, if I remember
correctly.  Good show!

Some success on real-brick-build:

Tonight I have built a real-brick working version of this under rail system.
The height of the track supports is only one large monorail system stand
plus one brick height, so the underslung car doesn't clear the floor by very
much.  There are no 2x2 lattice supports beneath the monorail stands.

I have one oval of 9v track with an inner siding line using two facing
switch-tracks.  The 9v power-to-track leads are on the siding.  Thanks, Larry.
The straight sections of the oval are 6 track lengths long.  The curved ends
are 8 curve sections.    The track is "pinned" to the top of the support
stands by merely a 2x2 tile.  One support stand per section of track.  The
support stands on straight sections are snapped on top of road plates to
keep them from tipping over.

The train consists of only one underslung car immediately below the 9v train
motor.  There are no decorations on top of the 9v train motor.  The
underslung car is built almost exactly as shown in the v1 renderings on
BrickShelf.

Color scheme is "anything goes".  When I build working proof-of-concept
vehicles I seldom make a first generation in any color scheme.  Form and
function first, color later....

I've been running the train non-stop at speed regulator position 4 for 45
minutes.  No problems.

The car really swings out for tilt through curves.  I could run the train
faster, but it goes into an inward tilt upon exit from the curves, then
oscillates back and forth at the begining of a straight section.  Upon
tilting inward, the car bumps the support stand.  So, either more clearance
to the support stands or eliminating inward tilt or eliminating tilt all
together....???   Some options would lend ease toward allowing curves in the
opposite direction, which would be nice.

I've loaned out my digital camera with movie-mode.  Should have that back
in-hand Friday night.  Pics and a movie to come this weekend, I hope.

Next:  to make the support stands taller....

later,
James Mathis