 Trains / 16158
Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 06:23:27 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
Here's a start at trying to build an under hanging train.  Not sure how
well, or if, this design concept would work.  I've certainly been inspired
by other MOCs like this.

Neat idea!

Not too sure how I'd expand the train for more cars.  However, maybe the
weight would be to much for the cantalevered track?  Maybe magnetic couplers
above the track with separate pendular cars beneath the track?

If there was some neat way to attach a coupler to the axle, that'd be the
best place, but probably above the track is next best.

I'm considering putting the driver's cab on top of the motor above the track.

Nah, I think you want to make the car above the track as small as possible,
otherwise you may as well just have a normal train!

I built a real-brick model of the monorail stands, track, motor, and bracket
to hold the passenger car.  But, I haven't added the passenger car.  It
doesn't tip over.  But, the weight of the passenger car might be enough to
cause disaster!  ???

You can decrease the chance of toppling by increasing the length of the
stanchion base across under the car.

I'd be more worried about the track separating from the top of the
stanchion. I'd probably go for a stanchion made of 2 1x16 technic beams
joined by 2 1x2 plates at each end, with a 1x6 technic beam pinned
perpendicular, a 2x8 plate on top of that, with the track stuck on the 2x8
plate.

But that's without having any LEGO handy to test!

ROSCO