 Trains / 16183
Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 16:53:32 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:

The car really swings out for tilt through curves.  I could run the train
faster, but it goes into an inward tilt upon exit from the curves, then
oscillates back and forth at the begining of a straight section.

This swing out and back in is prototypical!

See, for instance "Top Gun" at Paramount King's Island or "Iron Dragon" at
Cedar Point. These are instances of a class of coaster called "suspended"
roller coasters and have bogies that run on (underslung from) tubular rail
section track. The bogies have gondolas suspended from them. (if you could
put your motor on the track upside down and have it adhere, it would be even
closer to this type of coaster... they adhere because they have wheels on 3
sides of the track, but your geometry is close enough to see what they see)
When transitioning from straight to tangent track they exhibit this exact
swaying inward behaviour.

It is combatted by using inertial dampers (shock absorbers, basically) to
dampen the oscillation within a swing or two.

Upon tilting inward, the car bumps the support stand.

Despite these dampers, when Top Gun comes into the pre station hold track,
you really get the feeling you are going to run into the support arms on the
sides because of the swaying. Iron Dragon doesn't do this as badly because
it's a bit slower. (some fans call it "draggin' Iron" for that very reason,
it's too tame for my taste...)

Iain Hendry can certainly comment more, he knows way way more about coasters
than I do.

I think the idea of using 12V power rails as the basis for a system is
terrifi-neato. The metal strips themselves may be just enough to keep a load
bearing (or drive) wheel contained to the center of the strip. (side guides
will probably still be required though)

I'm just not clear on how power pickup would work. Although you CAN (could)
buy plug on power pickup units as 12V spares... maybe with some clever wiring?