 Trains / 16160
Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:45:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:

Thanks for taking a look.

Cool. So you didn't want to go the Wuppertahlbahn
(http://www.1000steine.de/themen/bauwettbewerb/060/060.htm)  route using a
single rail? I guess it makes powering the thing easier...

Yeah, powering the train was a primary design target.  I went with 9v track
as most readily available power source for me.  However, I haven't solved
the clearance issue of the 9v track power connectors sticking out and
interfering with the car support arms.

I checked out the Wuppertahlbahn a few weeks ago, and then again last night.
Amazing diorama and impressive monorail.  I love the trapezoidal support
structure for the 4.5v single track.  Going 4-wide for the cars and using
only a single track is a great way to potentially get two trains
side-by-side on parallel track with two radii of curve!  Two concerns of
Wuppertahlbahn construction:
1) the train didn't look like it had motive power. Does it?  9v battery with
maybe the little red Technic micro motor?

2) The construction of the monorail track supports, the drop-down support
for the track, and the way the train connects to the wheels on the track all
to be strictly "stiction" method.  Looks a little fragile with no vertical
cross-beam construction.

I've got a lot of support structure issues with my version, too.  Fun
projects!  I just want to say, again:
The Wuppertahlbahn MOC is truly awesome and awe inspiring to me.  Really
beautifully designed from simply having the monorail train to the whole
scene of it snaking above the river and the buildings surrounding the scene.
Excellent work, there!

later,
James Mathis