 Trains / 16177
Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 00:50:52 GMT

James,

Great idea for a system! I may have to look into this design...

You may have seen them before, but here are some pictures of working
overhead supported light rail model I built for the Sky Train Corporation.
The Sky Train is full automated using a Mindstorms RCX 1.0 and runs on 4.5v
track inside the duct. The only down fall of the model I built is it’s belt
drive system, because it can only run out and back. I am working on a
smaller board mounted version for trade/transit shows.

The latest model at the H & R Show:
Full gallery:

Past model:
http://www.gfltc.org/shows/ef00largo.htm

For more on Sky Train Corporation see (some cool links/pics too):
http://www.skytraincorp.com

Build on...
Robin Werner
Greater Florida LEGO Train Club www.gfltc.org

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
Here's a start at trying to build an under hanging train.  Not sure how
well, or if, this design concept would work.  I've certainly been inspired
by other MOCs like this.

This concept train only has one car.  The ideas are that:
- One side of the trans-clear side panels hinges upward for access to the
interior,
- the under hanging car swings out through curves
- only one direction of curve keeps the monorail pedestals on the inner radius

This is mostly just a design concept.

The lattice stands (wish I had this many!) below the monorail stands would
be replaced by basic bricks.

Not too sure how I'd expand the train for more cars.  However, maybe the
weight would be to much for the cantalevered track?  Maybe magnetic couplers
above the track with separate pendular cars beneath the track?

I'm considering putting the driver's cab on top of the motor above the track.

I built a real-brick model of the monorail stands, track, motor, and bracket
to hold the passenger car.  But, I haven't added the passenger car.  It
doesn't tip over.  But, the weight of the passenger car might be enough to
cause disaster!  ???

I'd like to eliminate every other monorail stand.  Maybe bridge the gap with
pinned Technic beams?

Thanks for taking a look.
later,
James Mathis