 Trains / 16180
Re: Under Hanging Train Idea: v1 Concept design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 06:12:25 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:

Tonight I have built a real-brick working version of this under rail system.
The height of the track supports is only one large monorail system stand
plus one brick height, so the underslung car doesn't clear the floor by very
much.  There are no 2x2 lattice supports beneath the monorail stands.

Cool!

The car really swings out for tilt through curves.  I could run the train
faster, but it goes into an inward tilt upon exit from the curves, then
oscillates back and forth at the begining of a straight section.  Upon
tilting inward, the car bumps the support stand.  So, either more clearance
to the support stands or eliminating inward tilt or eliminating tilt all
together....???   Some options would lend ease toward allowing curves in the
opposite direction, which would be nice.

You could provide a bit of friction in the rotating mount. This'll reduce
the swing-out effect as well, but should solve the "swing-in" problem. You
could try squeezing the bushes together further than normal. This can
increase the friction quite a bit.

ROSCO