 Trains / 10621
Re: Boston & Maine GP40 (I have offically changed my mind on stickers).
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 18:19:11 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jeff Small writes:
Followups here too because I thought the whole sticker discussion is surely
a general thing, and I'm really curious to see what others think of stickers

Years ago, I used to always use the Lego stickers.  But one day I realized
that I don't have to put on the stickers unless doing so actually added
something to the _piece_.  I generally don't care if it adds something to
the _model_ because I never keep anything stock.  Stickers almost invariably
make the piece less useful for MOCs.  Even so, I have a number of pieces
with stickers.  I typically do put on stickers if they are not
theme-specific and go on common pieces.  A serial number on a 1x4 is very
useful for all kinds of things.  Eyes on a dome windshield are not.

Until very recently, I didn't really want to use non-Lego stickers at all.
However, there is just something about trains that cries out for them.  I
still would rather do something with bricks, and will only resort to
non-Lego stickers when the theme of the model demands it.  On the locomotive
I did recently, I was careful to put the stickers on common pieces.  And I
made some awkward structural decisions based on keeping the stickered
sections reuseable.  The big club stickers on the sides are each placed on a
stack of 2 1x4 bricks.  This section can easily be removed and used
elsewhere.  This is because I have always hated STAMPS(1) when the stickered
section is complex-shaped.

(1)STAMPS: STickers Across Multiple PieceS

On the other hand, the sticker on the Starbucks store fits across an
extremely specialized section of brickery.  I guess this didn't seem so bad
because it is a non-Lego sticker that I don't mind destroying when I remove
it from the parts.  And it's not a sticker that I made, so I'm not so
attached to it.  Besides, I don't see me taking that model apart any time
soon.  At least with the 7-Eleven, I didn't really damage any pieces at all-
I found 5 white 1x6 bricks that were so faded as to be nigh useless anyway.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com