 Trains / 10135
Re: subway info?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 18:28:24 GMT

Would you rather have seen CLRV's (why not ALRV's?) operating at tighter
headways? (curious)

Either or (CLRV or ALRV) (I think of them as the same, even though they are not
quite).  I would rather seen the streetcars, because it would have made it
possible to get streetcars back into Scarborough, whereas ICTS is never going
to get expanded.  If it had been streetcars, at least the possiblity of ground
level streetcars in NE Scarborough would have existed.  Now that possiblity is
faint at best.  Streetcars are a good intermediate transport system, better
than buses but less than subway.  On a dedicated ROW, I think streetcars have
an equal capacity to a subway system (probably more efficent too, because you
can merge in and out streetcars along surface non bolavard routes far easier
than a 6 car subway train.)

I also think that the TTC should have been given _all_ of the transit systems
in the GTA at the last round of mergers.  Having GO and TTC, along with like
Vaughn/Pickering/Missisagua ect to my mind is a waste of resorces, and means
that there are some artificial boundries within the commuter structure.  It
would mean going to a zoned fare, which I would approve of to manage the
simplification of the underlying structure.

James