 Trains / 10079
Re: subway info?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 18:22:13 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz writes:

I haven't been in the NYC subways enough to know, but there sure is some
interesting stuff in Boston's T stations. Some inspirations I would take
from the T:

- Track leading off into dark tunnel to nowhere

- Old traction equipment which is either essentially abandoned or just
used for MOW duties parked on unused tracks in stations.

- Road tunnel with electric trolley buses and regular buses (the trolley
buses are interesting sights to see, their trolley poles have a very
wide swing, which allows the bus to drive in any lane or pull over to
pick up passengers.

Note that even with the wide swing they still loose contact between the trolley
poles and the electricity.  Actually I have seen this quite often, usually the
bus just costs to the side of the street and the driver gets out and there is a
wheel on the back of the bus to hook it back up.  There are occasions though
when a Bus gets stuck in an intersection or middle of the road and it is kind
of funny to listen to all the pleasentries shouted at the driver as he gets
things hooked back up and gets back going :-).

I wonder if any other city has as wide a variety of
mass transit as Boston, which is served by: long distance bus, private
express buses, T buses, trolley buses, commuter rail, Amtrak, trolley,
subway, elevated train, and harbor shuttle. The main transit types that
I think are missing would be interurban and monorail (of course there
are a few other types of train service Boston doesn't have such as high
speed electric). Of course this isn't entirely surprising since Boston
has one of the oldest transit systems.

We do have quite a variety.  Actually before my son was born I almost never
drove into Boston.  The T is great, although I still know people that will not
go on a subway.  It's kind of silly to me because it is relatively cheap,
especially when you account for Parking prices in Boston.

I personally have ridden on every branch of the T at one point or another
although I can't say that I have been through every station yet.  (OK I havn't
been on the Mattapan Extension but from what I here I am not missing anything)
I have also been on the Busses and Commuter Rail.  I havn't been on any of the
Harbor Shuttles yet.  All things considered the T is quite clean and very easy
to use (Although I have seen some tourists get very confused by all the
extensions on the Green Line).

A few of the T stations do have vending machines. One thing I have
always figured to help keep Boston's subways a little cleaner and less
vandalized than NYC is that the subway doesn't run all night.

Of course it seems the discussion comes up fairly often but so far it still
stops around 1AM I think.  There are exceptions for hollidays of course.  New
Years Eve the trains run through the night.  I think there are some other days
with extended hours as well, 4th of July comes to mind.

I know I have mentioned this before but I really want to try modeling the Green
Line some time.  It is a challenging model though because of the steps and
doors at ground level and the fact that the trains are articulated.

For Pic's and details about the Boston subway check out:

http://www.nycsubway.org/us/boston/

Much better for pics then www.mbta.com in my opinion.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group