 Trains / 10118
Re: subway info?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 01:21:54 GMT

HO. I've always considered getting that LRV model. One of my friends in
high school was a real subway fan and his model railroad actually was a
transit layout, complete with a subway station. He told me of exploring
the nether reaches of the subway system, and finding the tokens stored
away (this was before the tokens came back into use - they had actually
saved them when they stopped using them in the 50s or whenever - the
nice thing about an old subway system is that you have all sorts of
storeage space...). I assume they have since minted new tokens (the
quantity necessary must be much more than the old ones).

Couple of comments:
1. CLRV's are prototypical on Boston tracks, I have a photo of 4029 alongside a
LRV in Boston...the contrast is kind of neat (CLRV=Canadian Light Rail Vehicle,
built by UTDC/SIG
2.  TTC tokens can be spoffed using aluminum bar, turned to the right
diameter and cut off...how I know this, don't ask :)

Every time the TTC goes to rase fares, the supply of tokens disappears.  I have
a 'farely' good collection of student tickets from the 80's...amazing what you
keep.

James