 Trains / 10041
Re: subway info?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 18:52:59 GMT

Actually, if your station is supposed to date from the current "Reign of
King Giuliani," all of the legless panhandlers have been whisked away
somewhere. I haven't seen one sitting in a station since 1997. The
panhandlers who can stand up do still make their way through the subway cars
where they can't be whisked away as easily.

The buskers are still around, but they all have official permits and have to
be "reasonably professional." Some have amplifiers and expensive
instruments. My favorite are the Chinese er-hu players.

Beautification is being seen in more and more stations, usually starting
with wall murals (the theatre district station has an Alice in Wonderland
theme in blue and white tiles, the Natural History Museum stop has an
evolution theme) and also durable art installations like sculpture, special
lighting, etc. The ones I've seen are pretty good for government-funded
public art, which is often horrible.

Tomas Clark
Producer, LEGO Direct

NYC stations are pretty barren, people don't dawdle around, and machines
would get vandalized/robbed. Just grime and tile walls and steel bars. Some
station hallways (on the way to the gates) have small shops but not nearly
as many as London. (or Sydney, for that matter... some Sydney stations you
can tell were architected to try to look like Underground stations, right
down to the badging.)

If your NYC station is of any size make sure you have a busker or two, and
maybe a legless panhandler.

++Lar