 Trains / 10046
Re: subway info?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 20:45:44 GMT

One other thing to keep in mind about stations is that they all seem to be
somewhere between slightly and highly different. Both in layout and design.
On the D-Q line, for instance, one stop has white tile with blue accents and
lettering, while a few stops up, the station is bright orange tile with
white accents!

Jake

Whist I cannot speak of the NY subway, I can attest to Toronto.  TO has kiosks
in quite a few of the stations, and the buskers are licensed (and Subway Elvis
didn't do it!)

The reason why the tile schemes are different in the stations is to provide
something other than just the name for people to go by.  Say if you cannot read
well at all (or just not english)...get off at the orange and white station,
past the green and white station. :).  As far as actual physical differences,
Toronto probably has "5" periods of station.

1. Young Street Stations (mostly renovated now)
2. Bay Street Stations (different material, had to do tunnels different way)
3. Most other stations (both Bloor and (pre 90's) northern stations
4. Toonerville Trolley stations (SRT)
5. More recent stations. (North York, and the new stuff, which I haven't been
around for)

James