 Technic / Bionicle / 1629
1628  |  1630
Subject:
CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:15:42 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

This is EXACTALLY what I said would happen!
(http://news.lugnet.com/technic/bionicle/?n=1609)

The only thing left open by the article is if LEGO will continue the line
with new names, but that's not very likely seeing as names in contention are
main characters and all.

I am so ticked off about this I can't even type anymore.

DAMNIT!

The AP article:

OCTOBER 29, 19:01 EST

Lego Halt Use of Some Names

By RAY LILLEY
Associated Press Writer

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — Danish toy maker Lego has agreed to halt
production of a range of toys based on ethnic cultures after protests about
its use of indigenous Maori names for some toys, a Maori intellectual
property lawyer said Tuesday.

Lego senior executive Brian Soerensen has just returned to Denmark after
meeting Maori lawyers in Auckland where he acknowledged that Lego had used
Maori words in its Bionicle range of toys.

Lawyer Maui Solomon paid tribute to Lego's decision.

``Lego have independently made a decision to withdraw from the market any
future production of Bionicle toys based on Maori knowledge, or indigenous
knowledge from any other culture, out of respect for the issues that we've
raised with them,'' Solomon said.

``They're not going to manufacture them any more, they're not going to
distribute them any more. That, I think, is a fairly significant step on
their part,'' he added.

Solomon represents Maori claimants arguing for greater protection for Maori
intellectual property.

The products included spiritual people called Tohunga (Maori for priest),
face masks called Kanohi (face), a stone warrior called Pohatu (stone) and a
tunneling character called Whenua (earth).

Lego executives are expected to visit claimant Maori tribe Ngati Koata in
November, to formalize the arrangements.

Matt