 Technic / Bionicle / 1654
Re: CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 17:06:57 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, John Neal writes:

, yet, when a company, like
Lego decides to rip-off names from another culture, words that have deep
religous meaning to them, you think they are the ones that are wrong.  Well,

As many are pointing out elsewhere in this thread, it is absurd to believe that
a "culture" "owns" anything.  What a load of hooey!

Why is it more absurd than a corporation's claim to a trademark? Note that
the Treaty of Waitangi (1840) http://www.govt.nz/aboutnz/treaty.php3
explicitly acknowledges Maori entitlement to cultural heritage, which
includes their language.
http://www.knowledge-basket.co.nz/waitangi/reports/wai11.html

If LEGO can acknowledge the importance of cultural sensitivity, why is it a
problem for so many AFOLs (one or two in particular)?

I say shame on Lego, first to use the names and then to deny where they
originated, saying they made them up.  You should really be saying, shame on
Lego.  Here, I thought they came up with all this stuff on their own to find
out they plagiarized it all.  Just like you can't copy someone else's work
in school, the business world is just the same.

Except that this "culture" who thinks they have a case mostly certainly isn't a
*business*.

Why should corporations be privileged over other cultural groups with a
distinct identity?

Please think about this from a different angle then just, "getting money of
of Lego."  This is the business world.  Just like Lego goes after people
using their company name, the New Zealand people are doing the same...

lol When I first started reading your post, I thought you were speaking tongue
in cheek.  There *isn't* any other way to see this except for shameless $$$
grubbing.  Sorry.

That's a sad comment on your world view John.

--DaveL