 Technic / Bionicle / 1716
Re: You oughta be glad!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 02:05:34 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, David Simmons writes:
No more Bionicle?!  Be still my breaking heart!  That means TLG might have
to get back to the business of making sets with bricks!  What is the world
coming to?!

Wow...talk about a delayed reaction. Dave, you might need to check your
newsreader...it's showing you articles long after the thread has been dropped...

Seriously, cultural appropriation is not something to be treated lightly.

Read further, then post again. That's not what I was on about...and I've
already had my say.

Having taken some classes at SF State on Native American culture, I was saw
the potential for offense in the Bionicle theme from the very beginning.
Matthew, you should consider taking a few classes on foreign cultures, you'd
be surprised how often this happens and how degrading and insulting to the
specific culture the appropriation can be.

You are a dangerous instrument then...someone who has taken modern college
classes on cultural rights and such. That's a subject for somewhere other
than LUGNET.

Knowledge is never a bad thing.

Then aquire some by reading the rest of the thread, and it's resolution,
before accusing me of anything, or suggesting that I need to be taught
sensitivity for another culture, 'cause that's not what it was about...it
was about money, plain and simple.

Matt