 Technic / Bionicle / 1609
Re: Update on Maori/Bionicle dispute
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 11:01:17 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Dave Low writes:
In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Matthew Gerber writes:

<snip>

But the Maori are the only ones to make a stink, so they are the ones LEGO
is kowtowing to...squeeky wheel syndrome, ya' know? You'd think the Maori
might notice this, but of course, there's money and press to be had.

I'm not sure what your point is here Matt -- quoting from the recent article:

' Mr Solomon and the groups he represents objected to the inappropriate use
of Maori words, and the way the game mixed together strands of many cultures...
"We would want to have a code of conduct; we know that other indigenous
people around the world would want to have a code of conduct," said Roma
Hippolite.'

The Maori groups seem quite aware that LEGO has conflated several cultural
traditions in the Bionicle fantasy world.

Right, but doesn't that show that LEGO specifically weren't lifting Maori
culture and words? It took forethought to decide to give Bionicle a Pacific
Island flavor, yet not impeed on any one specific peoples culture or
beliefs. By taking words that were universal across many cultures, and
applying then to the character types and names in correct (or even
incorrect)  ways they were doing nothing wrong. If LEGO had simply called
the heads of the Mata Nui villages "priests" instead of "turaga", would
Catholics be up in arms? Of course not! Just 'cause it ain't English, don't
mean it's any less generic, does it? That seems like a loosing proposition
to me...only English words are fair game for use? B.S.

Side point-but relevant: Where do the Maori get off stating "...we know that
other indigenous people around the world would want to have a code of
conduct"? I hate stuff like that. If the other cultures had any problem with
LEGO, they would have launched their own public campaign, or this would be
more of a class action. Squeeky wheel syndrome.

Considering the number and political activism of the Maori it's not really
surprising that they have been the ones to engage with TLC.

Friviously. If some unknown toy company from Podunk, Iowa had made a toy
with Pacific Island flavored names and sold one or two the Maori wouldn't
give a crap. TLC's got world-wide recognition and deep pockets (well, sorta')...

Was there a claim for monetary compensation?

If TLC wasn't kowtowing to the Maori, it would come...still might for that
matter...tell me you can't see this: "Today, The LEGO Group of companies has
announced the creation of a special endowment for the Maori people of New
Zealand. This money will be used to spread knowledge of the Maori, the
aboriginal people of New Zealand, and their culture through outreach and
education programs in New Zealand and around the world. The LEGO Company
were challenged earlier this year to withdraw their popular line of Bionicle
products due to the wholesale lifting of the names and traditions of the
Maori people in the line."

Oh, and press=money.

Another side point: Solomon from the article-"Now if we can get that right,
then you've got something really powerful that's going to satisfy the
commercial market and more importantly, the cultural market." That's
funny...seems like LEGO is doing just fine without their input, Bionicle's a
HUGE success...are the Maori a culture of nothing but market analyists or
something? LEGO is more likely to drop the whole Bionicle line if this gets
really stinky, then who wins?

And is there something wrong with Maori trying to protect and promote >their culture?

At TLC's expense? You're damn right there is. (Or at anyone else's, for that
matter...)

"Having Maori culture represented correctly could be a powerful tool for
Maori, according to Mr Hippolite.
'If an agreement can be made and the stories and the names are used
appropriately so you couldn't put the name tohunga [a spiritual advisor and
healer] where it didn't belong, then there can be a whole generation of kids
around the world that get to know and understand about things Maori.'"

OH! But I thought the benevolent Maori were taking this on for the entire
Pacific Island region!

<hidden subliminal messages>
Surely they don't expect (yes they do) TLC to alter the entire Bionicle
storyline (of course so) to portray Maori culture and history (wanna' bet?)!
</hidden subliminal messages>

I still don't think that this non-issue would have been invented if the
Maori hadn't been looking for support for their other pet compaints (to see
more about this, see the previous posts on this subject in technic.bionicle)

I missed the reference to "pet complaints". Were you referring to the
application to register .maori.nz? It seems like a perfectly legitimate idea
to me, especially considering the special political position of the Maori in
New Zealand -- see this link for an example:
http://www.elections.org.nz/elections/enrolling/faqs_maori_referenda.html#f.14

That's one.

The Maori are a seperatist culture, but very liberal in their thinking.
Explore their web sites (http://www.nzmis.org.nz/ & http://maaori.com/), and
you'll find a people who want to remain seperate, but have the perks...be
traditional, but modernize...be recognized as independant, but be catered to
(sound like any other cultures you know of?). They have a great cultural
history, and strive to keep their culture alive in the modern world (note
the massive amount of native language content available on their
sites...neat). Does any of this mean that they should be rewarded for being
a squeeky wheel, especially by TLC? Nope.

And Erik's correct about the landmine names...but as the article was likely
written from a Maori press-release, chances are they are actually still
battling this issue standing on the more generic names.

I had a quick look over past threads, but I missed the "Kane-Ra"
controversy: why are some names more contentious?

Erik should be better with this than I am, but my understanding is that it's
the names of some of the other Bionicle types/characters that are where the
"bastardazation" of the languages comes in...though it is kinda funny to
note that one translation of Nui-Rama is "abundant rum"... WHOO-HOO! Gonna'
have to make up a rum drink at BricksWest called Nui-Rama...

Matt (Whew!)

(And just how/why DOES Erik know so much about Pacific Island culture
anyway...did the man do nothing but STUDY on his honeymoon? 8?) )