 Technic / Bionicle / 1564
Re: Greatest demand is for Bionicle -- Yuck! :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 19:41:29 GMT

You can see LEGO trying to do this with Bionicle - with the larger
"bad guy" sets.  My expectation is that those sets will sell modestly
in comparision to the cheaper ones - the "collecting hook" isn't
as sharp with the larger sets.  You really don't need to buy the big
spider or whatever to feel like you have a complete set of toa.
The discontinuity of form factor will work against the larger sets.

Agreed.  The lost cost of the Toa and other sets were very appealing... but
the bad guys are way up there.  Perhaps that's why there are rumors that
2002 Bionicle series will feature simular-to-Toa price point bad guys.  You
can't accuse LEGO for not trying to pawn the expensive & large bad guy sets
off, however.  It makes sense... sort of like drugs... get them hooked on
the cheap stuff... then hit them up for the more potent (expensive) stuff...
(sorry, bad analogy).

- Steve