 General / 33629
Re: Greatest demand is for Bionicle -- Yuck! :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 19:49:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeff Thompson writes:
In lugnet.general, Andy Lynch writes:
Has anyone done a study to determine what is so appealing to the buyers
of Bionicle?  And I don't mean the AFOLs as much as the rest of the
buyers...

Is it:
- Because they are robotic/action figures?

I like the actions and articulation, so that may be part of it.  But I never
play with them as if they were non-LEGO action figures.  Playing with Bionicle
is taking all of the sets apart and building new creatures.

- Because they have a full online story behind them, with characters and
a specific storyline?

I collect Bionicle, and I've never visited bionicle.com.  I try to pay little
attention to the story and create my own characters.  I do enjoy the free comic
books, though.

- The online game, which is different from just a storyline, I guess.
- Because they are "combat" based? ( The idea of "knocking masks off" to
"cure" infected or evil enemies)

any other ideas?

I think the very fact that we have Bionicle today is due
to the past success of the Throwbot/Slizers and Roboriders
sets.

Whenever LEGO has a runaway best-seller (e.g. the Aquanaut
sets), they run the idea into the ground trying to replicate
that success (e.g. all the subsequent underwater sets).

Throwbots must have sold very well for LEGO to continue
tweaking and reintroducing the idea of the collectable
little robot action figures.

So, what makes them popular?  Here's my guess.

1.  They're cheap.

Since they're only a handful of parts, LEGO can sell them
for $5-$7.  This puts them perfectly in the range of
impulse buy, and since they come in a fairly substantial
package, the casual buyer can feel good that they're getting
a fair amount of toy for their money.

More importantly, they're often not availible- could LEGO be doing that on
purpose? If I can't plan my Bionicle purchases because stores rarely have them,
they become much more of an impule buy when I do find some.  This is especially
true of mask boxes!

3.  They're robotic, and vaguely combat-oriented.

Bionicle isn't robotic, it's "robot-oriented".  Mindstorms is robotic.

Once someone has all six (or all 12, or all 18) bionicles, they're
not likely to want to buy multiples of the toys.  There's a
limit to how many of the toys a kid will want (one of each).

I strongly diasgree.  A Toa isn't just a character, it's a can of LEGO building
pieces.  Collect more pieces, and you can build a bigger, better creature.
Look here:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3260/bionicle2/bionicle2.htm#top

I own two copies each for 7 of the 12 Throwbots, and one set I own three of.
If I find some half-price Toa in the future, I'll do the same.

You can see LEGO trying to do this with Bionicle - with the larger
"bad guy" sets.  My expectation is that those sets will sell modestly
in comparision to the cheaper ones - the "collecting hook" isn't
as sharp with the larger sets.  You really don't need to buy the big
spider or whatever to feel like you have a complete set of toa.
The discontinuity of form factor will work against the larger sets.
Just a guess.

I agree.  I own one Rahi set (Nui-Rama) and I don't feel that I need any more.