 General / 33639
Re: Greatest demand is for Bionicle -- Yuck! :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 19:58:12 GMT

"Lawrence Wilkes" <lawrence@thewilkesfamily.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

"Michael Huffman" <mhuffman@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:GLCq2z.H81@lugnet.com...
Interesting article in today's newspaper:

http://www.dispatch.com/business-story.php?story=dispatch/news/bus01/oct01/8954
34.html

That's done it!

Now Lego will have the justification to focus more on this junk, and less on others :-(

The only light on the horizon is that these types of toys tend to be very faddish.
Can't get enought one year, bargain bin the next.

Let's hope Lego don't get too deluded over the current success.

...The lesson they can learn is that lots of back story and well developed
product sells... Bionicles do fit into that nice "action figure" range, but I
think more than that, they are nice because of the extensive back story that
creates a whole world for the kids to immerse themselves in and lots of cross
promotion (McDonalds, magazines, comics, walmart events, web site (that webgame
is _great!_).

...They prolly could have done more with the Mars sets if they had followed the
back story line and built it up. And they could do wonders with the castle theme
with a detailed backstory and all the cross promotion...

...While I hate to see them turn more from the free build world of system, I
don't mind the more structured storylines and themes (so long as the piece count
is good :-) And I still try to make sure my kids know that its still LEGO, which
means you can always build whatever you want :-)

...And for that matter, the Star Wars sets are a perfect example of theming...
good sets, good backstory (luckily, LEGO didn't have to supply that part), lots
of cross promotion... So we cant say that themeing things is always bad.

...Another advantage of a good backstory is that in order to keep it fresh, the
story has to build and evolve so we get a nice continuous flux of new sets
(witness the StarWars line).

---
wubwub
wubwub@wildlink.com
jains.has.it        <-- Jain's Guide
www.sitcatsit.com   <-- a guy and his cat
www.wildlink.com    <-- the wildlinks

Start planning for BrickFest 2002!
The AFOL Community's Premier Fan Run Event!
www.brickfest.com