 General / 33640
Bionicle: The Fabuland of today?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.fabuland, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 20:30:42 GMT

I was heading off to lunch today, looking for something interesting to read.
Often I print out more of the "interesting" conversations from LUGNET and
other message boards I frequent to read while eating.  On a whim I clicked
over to the Fabuland area and thought I'd read about this cult favorite of
LEGO series.  I remember reading about Fabuland in the LEGO catalogs while
growing up, but never had any items from the line.  It will probably always
hold a unique place in LEGO history.

One thing that did stick out to me, however, is that Fabuland had stories
and such associated with the product.  The characters had names, etc.  It
wasn't all "free play" -- rather, if a child wanted to, they could follow
TLC's way of playing with the characters or they could make up their own.

It seems that this would be very similar, at least in concept, to Bionicle.

Now, don't get me wrong... I'm in now way endorsing or condemning the
highly-marketed series from LEGO.  In fact, I feel both support and hatred
for all things Toa sometimes.  But one of the things that the series has
been criticized on is the storyline element.  Granted, it's far more
advanced and required in Bionicle when compared to Fabuland.  Still, way
back then, there was some element of story.

I thought the parallel had some merit, and would be interested in your
thoughts pertaining to this insane comparison...

- Steve