 Technic / 203
Re: lego Technic "class"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 22:36:10 GMT

On your web page you ask why they made the commutator so small.

I think the most obvious-by-far reason is to reduce the amount of wear on the
contacts due to friction. By making the radius of the commutator cylinder
small, they reduce the linear velocity at the point where the contacts touch
it. The size they chose is probably the smallest that conducts the needed
amount of current and can be built the the type of machinery available.

In lugnet.robotics, Hari Wiguna writes:
They say, curiosity killed the cat....  Good thing I'm not a cat!
I opened one of my motors and took photos for everyone to enjoy.

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/mvunlim2/lego/Motor/motor.html

PS: Chris, I also was unable to take the guts out of the casing.
Considering that this is a perfectly healthy motor, I didn't push my luck.