 Education / 22
Re: lego Technic "class"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 17:13:06 GMT

John Van Z wrote:

I've been thinking (ever since MindFest) about doing something like this for
my son's 3rd grade gifted class.  Did you develop a curriculum, or do you just
let the kids play and offer help?  What age kids take part?  Do you have any
plans to add Mindstorms stuff?

At the moment I'm just letting them play, and showing them stuff (mostly
the many ways of driving a vehicle wth a motor) when they need help. The
age range is about 7 to 15 (this is an alternative school, and most
classes and sessions are open to anyone old/mature enough to take part,
so nearly every class has a mixed age group). I'm not planning to add
Mindstorms because we have no computer access in the room we use, and
also the money I have for this is limited. I am looking at the Scout set
though, snce it doesn't require a computer. Anyone have comments on how
programmable it is compared to the RCX? One of the staff here is trying
to get a robotics program off the ground (with a lot of interest from
the kids) but he didn't know about Mindstorms etc until I showed him
last week... he is planning on getting the kind of solder-together,
single-use small robot kits but now I have shown him the Lego stuff he
is all confused <g>.

Once I get some of the Dacta sets I plan to spend some of our time
looking at the project cards in those and relating them to what the kids
are already doing themselves. They are very interested in the pneumatics
stuff so I am going to be getting more of that.

It's a very fun class. I have a couple of teens who come, who were a
real PITA last year, and one of them usually still is, but they are so
excited about the Lego that they are a pleasure to be around in this
class - mostly <g>.

Kevin

--
Email: kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com