 Education / 5
Re: lego Technic "class"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 06:27:29 GMT

In lugnet.edu, Kevin Wilson <70641.507@compuserve.com> writes:
[...]
Anyone got good ideas on how to do things like introduce different ways
of driving a vehicle from a motor? Anyone else doing this? I'm having as
much fun with it as they are <g>.

Last week I built a little non-robot vehicle using four of the new
internally geared-down Technic 9v motors.  Two of the motors were connected
directly to the wheels, the other two motors served as human-cranked
generators to power the motors on the vehicle.  The reason I used four
motors (two pairs) instead of two motors (one pair) was so that I could run
each of the wheels different directions, so that the vehicle could pivot in
place and turn.

Anyway, a really fun experiment that kids and adults alike seem to enjoy is
simply to hook two 9v motors together with a regular connector.  Then turn
one motor and watch the other one turn in perfect a mimic.  It's really
amazing how energy-efficient the LEGO motors are.

Jin Sato did something even neater yet -- he made a little walker vehicle
using two motors -- one as a generator, the other as a motor.  The feet were
the "claws" (opened wide) from an Aquazone set such as 6109 Sea Creeper:

   http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6109

The mechanism worked magically -- you turned the generator motor back and
forth, back and forth, like a washing machine, and the walker took little
steps.  I think kids would love seeing something like that.

--Todd