 Robotics / 16159
Re: Motor Failure (was: lego Technic "class")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 17:58:16 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Thomas (T. J.) Avery writes:

This isn't good news. I've recently aquired 4 geared motors and haven't had
any seize, but I haven't used them very much either.

What I have noticed is that on a few motors, when I turn the shaft slowly by
hand, it will bind up unless I apply a lot of torque. It almost feels like
there's a little piece of something that has meshed in the gears and has
bound them up. When more torque is applied, this little something gets
passed through the gears and the motor then operates freely. I hope this
isn't a sign of impending failure, I rather like the geared motors.

TJ

I've come across one gear motor that failed, but it's one I bought cheap
second hand, I should be able to get my money back. I tested it before
purchase and it worked but it turns out the fault is intermittant. To fix
the problem you have to force the shaft round but this can be sometimes easy
or really hard. Also the motor works fine for a bit but on restart it won't
turn and doesn't want to know. Anyway without 100% reliability it's useless.

I've also noticed that a gear motor will stop instantly if any amount of
reverse current is applied. This can happen when you take your thumb off the
switch. The motor only spins down if no reverse current has been applied.
There's an art to releasing the switch in this way and it's not hard to do.

Steve