 Robotics / 7797
Re: lego Technic "class"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 22:39:55 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Stephen Unwin writes:
<...snip...>
As an aside, has anyone had trouble with motors seizing up? I have had 4 of
the geared motors before the two in RIS and one in Cybermaster. One is ok, two
cannot be turned by hand and one has stopped altogether. Having completely
dismantled the seized motor I discovered a fine black magnetic powder inside.
Taking the motors apart is not to be recommended. Even popping the back off
carefully can make a mess of the case.

I've never seen this, but I recall hearing somebody discuss this recently.  It
might be a quality control problem having to do with adhesive getting worn off
and gumming up the gears.  Apparently, different motors have different amounts
of goop inside.

I got a bad motor in my original RIS, (had a broken winding) so after I got a
replacement from TLG, I tried to open it up out of curiosity.  I messed up the
case a bit before I noticed that the motor housing has four "hollow" studs on
the top that snap the case together.  I think you can open the case by pushing
four paper clips (or other pointy objects) into these holes to release one
side of the case.  But by the time I noticed this, I was already inside.

I never got the guts out in order to see the internal gearing since the actual
motor seemed to be wedged in there pretty well.  So I whimped out and put it
back together.  (Is there some trick to getting the guts out?)

Now I use the bad motor as a place-holder when I need to borrow a motor from
one of my existing robots.  I've found that they hold together better on the
shelf if they're fully assembled.