 Robotics / 16156
Re: Motor Failure (was: lego Technic "class")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:18:46 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ken McMullan writes:
As an aside, has anyone had trouble with motors seizing up? I have had 4 of
the geared motors before the two in RIS and one in Cybermaster. One is ok, two
cannot be turned by hand and one has stopped altogether. Having completely
dismantled the seized motor I discovered a fine black magnetic powder inside.
Taking the motors apart is not to be recommended. Even popping the back off
carefully can make a mess of the case.

Actually, the reason I'm looking here is because I had a motor die recently
for no apparent reason. It's become really difficult to turn the spindle by
hand and it only gives about 100 RPM instead of the nominal 360.

I HAVE found a good way to get the back off the motor without scoring the
four pins at the top. If you stick a thumbnail in the BOTTOM of the back
closure, the two retaining lugs there are easier to remove than the big ones
at the top.

I remember seeing a site recently that described the internals of the motor
very well and I've ben searching for it for ages! Anybody got any pointers?

I have 6 of these motors and all of them turn at different speeds from the
same battery. I have testing this with a Mindstorms RCX and an angle sensor.
I attach the motor to the sensor via a 3:1 gear and switch it on for 10
seconds counting the revolutions on the angle sensor. They do anything from
290 to 340 RPM. I tested them 6 months ago and the speed of each has
decreased by about 7% on average. I'm not discounting the possibility that
this could be battery fatigue.

I have had no problems with motors purchased w/Mindstorms (RIS, RoboSports,
RDS), 8735s or other motorized Technic sets.  I've had about a 15% failure
rate on motors from ZNAP sets.

The 5225 gear motors should coast when power is removed in both directions
due to the internal flywheel.  Motors that do not coast are headed for a
seize up.

BTW, LEGO Consumer Affairs has replaced all of the motors I've come across
which were locked up 'out of the box'.

A motor data link:
http://web.mit.edu/sp.742/www/motor.html

-Rob Doucette.