 Education / 9
Re: lego Technic "class"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:42:24 GMT

In lugnet.edu, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.edu, Kevin Wilson <70641.507@compuserve.com> writes:
[...]
Anyone got good ideas on how to do things like introduce different ways
of driving a vehicle from a motor? Anyone else doing this? I'm having as
much fun with it as they are <g>.

Last week I built a little non-robot vehicle using four of the new
internally geared-down Technic 9v motors.  Two of the motors were connected
directly to the wheels, the other two motors served as human-cranked
generators to power the motors on the vehicle.  The reason I used four
motors (two pairs) instead of two motors (one pair) was so that I could run
each of the wheels different directions, so that the vehicle could pivot in
place and turn.

I had a chance to play with Todd's creation for awhile.  It was really cool!
(The best part was the 20-foot control tether that he made so that it could be
operated from a balcony high above.)

I thought the controller was cool too -- to get the nonrobot to turn, you had
to do this funky figure-eight thing with your fingers...  It took a little
practice, but once you got the hang of it, you could really crank that thing
all over the place!

Look Ma, no batteries!

Anyway, a really fun experiment that kids and adults alike seem to enjoy is
simply to hook two 9v motors together with a regular connector.  Then turn
one motor and watch the other one turn in perfect a mimic.  It's really
amazing how energy-efficient the LEGO motors are.

Jin Sato did something even neater yet -- he made a little walker vehicle
using two motors -- one as a generator, the other as a motor.  The feet were
the "claws" (opened wide) from an Aquazone set such as 6109 Sea Creeper:

  http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6109

The mechanism worked magically -- you turned the generator motor back and
forth, back and forth, like a washing machine, and the walker took little
steps.  I think kids would love seeing something like that.

There are some electric trains that brake by using their motors as
generators.  The motion of the train is used to generate electricity that is
stored in capacitors or batteries (same thing).  The energy is then recycled
to help get the train moving again.