 Technic / 15247
Re: Pneumatic Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:41:30 GMT

In lugnet.technic, "Technex" <technexra2~hotmail.com> wrote:
Well, I would love to have an exhaust port for my lego engines, I love messing
around with the exhaust system, making different noises and so on. I've tried
modding about 6 of the old valves, and no luck. Is there any other way of making
a valve do this? What about constructing a new kind of valve?

To get an exhaust that doesn't leak away the whole pressure of the system, use a
small cylinder or two that pushes against some rubber bands to open a valve:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Technic/Pneumatics/Building-Blocks/pneumatic_pressure_limiter.jpg

As the pressure leaks away, the rubber bands overcome the reducing pressure in
the cylinders and the valve closes.

Move the rubber bands to the other end and swap the valve ports to do a vacuum
version that will leak air in when the cylinder pulls hard enough under high
vacuum on the bottom nozzle.

I'm not so sure a range of exhaust notes is viable with only LEGO parts, though
perhaps a roll-up paper hooter could be sent enough air from a LEGO system to
make a noise.

Mark