 Technic / 14841
Re: Pneumatic Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2005 05:05:02 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Andrew Meyer wrote:
   I am comtemplating the purchase of one of those one-way valves from the old pneumatic sets. I was wondering, if you set up a system in which one tank was pressure and one was vacuum, and applied both to a 2-cyl engine, would it turn with more power than a regular engine? What I mean to describe is an engine that is similar to the 90d phase shift 2 cyl engine that you can find on Dr. C.S. Soh’s pneumatics page, reworked so that when one side of a cylinder had pressure applied, the other would be connected to vacuum. I realise this would involve two switches per cyl, instead of one,

Sort of like a DPDT reversing switch arrangement? However, if you study how the LEGO pneumatic valve is built you know it’s not going to work. Namely, it has a fourth exhaust port that’s inaccessible. You’ll have to plug up this port for your idea to work. Else compressed air and vacuum (?) would be leaking from the tanks all the time. And the one-way valve blocks wouldn’t be of any help.

   Would the extra power from the cyl be enough to drive the extra resistance of the added switches, and end up with more power than a traditional engine, or would I be better off just sticking to the traditional engine and just feeding it more air faster?

Better to stick to the traditional engine. And if you simply want a faster engine, don’t bother to use the double acting cylinders - they’re too stiff (You could use FT cylinders though). Use the older type single acting cylinders. The fastest engine I’ve built so far is based on Paul Krieg’s Two Single-Acting Cylinder Opposed design.

CSSoh