 Technic / 14874
Re: Pneumatic Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:51:50 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
  It is so interesting that you broached the topic of vaacume/pressure
pressure at the same time as the hydraulic question.  In many ways they are
the same problem.  Containment.

No - exhaust!

  With vaccume/pressure you need a switch with containable exhaust, otherwise
the uncontrolled exhaust leads to a leaking system that cannot work.

You need to eventually discharge the compressed air (or vacuum) in a pneumatic
system. Interestingly enough, this is the first time I heard of a pneumatic
system using compressed air and vacuum at the same time. Usually it's just one
or the other.

  With hydraulics, you need a contained system, else you end up with
hydraulic fluid dripping from the machine.

Yep, but there is also an exhaust to lead out the liquid from the cylinder which
is then pumped back to the system.

On Amazon.com site, there's this book "Hydraulics and Pneumatics: A Technicians
and Engineers Guide by Andrew Parr" where you can look inside the pages. On page
5 and 6 there are very clear diagrams of a hydraulic and a pneumatic system
which shows what I mean.

  I've never really gotten into the hydraulic concept, but I think I'm going
to have to try, but first I'm going to finishing solving/proving your
pressure vaacume engine question.

Yep. Don't forget he wants to know:
"Would the extra power from the cyl be enough to drive the extra
resistance of the added switches, and end up with more power than a traditional
engine, or would I be better off just sticking to the traditional engine and
just feeding it more air faster?"

  I often get inspired when people say it can't be done, so I thank Dr. Soh
for that bit of inspiration also.

Haha, that's me ;-)

CS